Standard items are the basic item type, such as goods and services you sell.
Creating a standard item in Product Manager
From the Item Directory you can access both the Create Item and Edit Item pages.
The Create Item page defaults to Item Type to Standard. Change this to Delivery or Contract if required. (See below for more information on Delivery and Contract Items.) Punchout items are to be configured by Basware staff only. Supplier Item ID is mandatory and is an alphanumeric field. Spaces and some punctuation are permitted between characters. Item template is extra functionality, you will be able to find details on Templated Items on another guide.
Both Name and Description are mandatory.
- Name will be the most prominent field in your user’s search results, so make sure you use text that is relevant and concise.
- Description is the field that you can use to really sell your product. An abstract is shown on the Marketplace’s search results, and you can use some formatting to call out key features. See our separate guide “Formatting Your Items' Descriptions” for details.
- Use the Keywords field to provide aliases, synonyms or the names of key features of your product to help buyers find it. The field is indexed and so although buyers will not see the information here, the text used will help them find it. For example, if your product is an office chair, potential buyers might search with the following keywords: office chair furniture seating computer ergonomic adjustable swivel.
- Like Keywords, Item Attributes also help your customers find and understand the capabilities of your goods or services. Attributes are shown on the item in Marketplace and can be searchable and/or used as filters so users can view, for example, just products from a specific manufacturer.
- Item Class is the most basic attribute you can provide, as it designates your item as either Goods or a Service. All the other attributes in this section are based on your selection here.
- Lead Time: The number of days the buyer might expect to wait for the item to be delivered. Attribute is used as a filter.
- Hazardous Item: select Yes if your product has a COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) or other safety data sheet. If you wish to emphasize your product is not hazardous, select No. Attribute is used as a filter.
- Manufacturer Name: The name of the manufacture of your goods, or the provider of the service, if not yourself. Attribute is searchable and used as a filter.
- Manufacturer Item ID: The manufacturer or service provider’s unique identifier for the goods or service. Attribute is searchable.
- Environment-friendly Item: select Yes if your product has an environmentally friendly component or leave as N/A. Attribute is used as a filter.
- GTIN – Global Trade Item Number. You can add this information to your item if you wish to.
- You may add up to ten Custom Attributes. These are not used as filters, but are searchable, are shown against the item, and can be used to list your products key features. For example, if you are a florist and your product is a bouquet you could list the types of flowers, the number of stems, the type of vase, if the flowers are scented, etc. Click the button to add a new custom attribute, or the button to remove one.
Select the correct Comparison UOM (Unit of Measure) and set the Comparison Scale. The UOM list includes a range of measures from the default Each through Acres, Bottles, Boxes, Pairs, Days, Weeks, and Months. Comparison Scale helps to create a ‘Price per UOM’ comparison point for buyers.
Select the UNSPSC Classification for your item. This is indexed so people can use what you select to find your item, and is used in your reporting.
If you have files to attach to the item, such as a COSHH sheet or user guide, you can do so in the Linked Media section. Click the button to add a file from the Media Directory.
Images help your products stand out, so be sure to include one or more on your product. If you have images already uploaded in the Media Directory, click the blue button to select it. Once you have added images you can drag them around in this section to set the order they are shown in, with the largest image shown first, and on the search results page. Click on the top right of an image to remove it from the item.
Once the mandatory fields have been completed with valid data you can either Save or Preview the item. Actions you can perform on this page are listed below.
Save: This will save your data into Product Manager
Add item templates to items